{Day 24} 10 Ways To Have Younger Looking Legs

Unfortunately for women over 40 we’re not always comfortable showing off our legs and we definitely don’t want to be caught wearing a miniskirt even if we have great legs. So today I’ll share 10 ways to have younger looking legs.

On Day 13 I posted about 25 clothes that just gotta go. One of the items mentioned was flesh colored hose. Many of you didn’t agree or didn’t know what to wear if you couldn’t wear nude pantyhose.

Kate Middleton seems to have caused nude hose to be popular again and many women are happy about it. But let me remind you that Kate Middleton is young and so wearing nude hose doesn’t make her look old.

We, on the other hand are older (nothing wrong with that) but we want to look good for our age and pantyhose can age us.

So after much reading and researching (I’m acting as if this is highly important, we’re just talking about our legs) I’m going to give you my opinions on how to have younger looking legs.

Here are 10 ways to have younger looking legs:

1. If you have nice legs go with a natural look especially in the summer and spring. Don’t wear pantyhose.

2. Opaque tights are perfect for fall and winter. I wear them all winter long. Stock up on brown, black and gray. (Colored tights are very popular right now but I’m not sure I can pull those off.)

3. I haven’t worn nude or flesh colored hose in years! I asked my sister, who’s almost 42 and she said the same thing, she hasn’t worn them in years. If you have to wear them make sure they match your skin tone. No shiny sheen and they need to be very sheer! Think natural look.

4. Don’t wear reinforced toes. (I know some of you might like them but they do age you.)

5. Stay away from flashy prints, thick opaque tights, and seams. These may call more attention to your legs than you want.

6. Lotion your legs everyday and shave for nice looking legs.

7. Make sure whatever you put on your legs is subtle. Your legs should not scream for attention but blend into your outfit.

8. Use a tanning lotion to give your legs color in the winter. I use Jergens Natural Glow Express Moisturizer all year.

9. By all means buy control top tights and pantyhose.

10. If you don’t like the way your legs look wear panty hose, tights or even pants. No need to stress about it!

Okay, what do you think? Do you like to wear nude panty hose? Do you think they age you?

I love to chat on facebook, you can follow me on facebook here, I also love to add things to my pinterest boards and if you’d like to follow some of my pictures throughout the day, you can follow me on Instagram.

**If you’ve missed any of my posts in this series or want to start from the beginning you can go here!

Beauty For the Heart~~Don’t envy bad people; don’t even want to be around them. All they think about is causing a disturbance; all they talk about is making trouble. Proverbs 24:1-2 (The Message)

**Disclosure: Actions you take from the hyperlinks within this blog post may yield commissions for cyndispivey.com.

• At 2012.10.24 14:01, cyndi spivey said:

Cathy I WILL be trying this stuff!! Thank you so much for the information and you may be seeing it on my blog if I like it. :-)

• At 2012.10.25 19:12, Rita Joy said:

Cyndi, I just love your series! I love reading your posts, and am learning lots through the comments as well. I have an absolutely hilarious self-tanner story. I was so excited when I heard about its invention. I have very pale skin and thought it would be just the ticket for my white, white legs. I applied it generously…and then proceeded to break out in the hives!!! I ended up having a much laughter filled conversation with the company’s customer service rep… I do recommend doing a “test patch” that they always talk about. (disclaimer: I have strange skin issues. This reaction is not the norm.:))

• At 2012.10.27 21:33, Cyndi Spivey said:

Hey Rita!
        Thanks for stopping by and that is a funny tanning story. My daughter has strange skin issues too so I completely understand. I visited your blog, and your decoration is beautiful. I’ll definitely be stopping back by.

• At 2012.10.24 14:02, cyndi spivey said:

You’re hilarious!! I’m so going to miss seeing you this year at Allume :(
      Love ya

• At 2012.10.24 14:04, cyndi spivey said:

Teresa with all the confusion over pantyhose I think I’m going to post some pictures of nude hose I would wear if I had to. :-) I’ll try to do it soon!

• At 2012.10.24 14:06, cyndi spivey said:

Oh Joy Courtney gave it to me and I think it might be a little short for me. :-) She has gotten too skinny these days for that skirt. I don’t know where she got it, she’s had it for a while. I’m glad you like it, it would be perfect for you!!
          Love ya

• At 2013.02.05 15:54, Kayla said:

Not too short for you at all… actually I think the length is perfect on you! :)

• At 2012.10.24 14:10, cyndi spivey said:

Oh Becki I’m soo sorry!! Someone else said my site is being blocked and it was before yesterdays post. My site is very clean and I hope this is just a short term thing. Let me know if it continues.
            I usually buy my tights at Kohl’s and I love the Simply Vera Vera Wang brand. I look for opaque but not real thick. It’s better to get them at a department store vs. Wal-Mart. I hope this helps!!

• At 2012.10.24 14:11, cyndi spivey said:

This pantyhose thing is getting a lot of attention. I’m cracking up!! Who knew we were all so confused! I think I’ll be posting some pictures soon! :-)

• At 2012.10.24 15:30, Amber said:

Ok, Cyndi. I read your post but I got distracted by your way too cute outfit! Seriously. You should wear that everyday! You look amazing in it. I love the boots with it, too.

Amber

• At 2012.10.24 15:36, Myra @ MyBlessedLife.net said:

HAHAHA! Tracey, your comment cracked me up! I totally relate…especially since I’m 3months post partum. Anything control doesn’t seem to do the trick. LOL!

• At 2012.10.24 15:38, Myra @ MyBlessedLife.net said:

I haven’t worn a stitch of panty hose since college where it was required every day for class. ICK. My husband still makes fun of my stinky feet. Hose sure did make my feet smell. LOL! I do occasionally wear tights in the winter. They also seem to be much more resilient than hose.

• At 2012.10.24 15:57, Debbie V. said:

I have a question about boots for me, I’m 5′ 2″ and feel unsure about it…what do you all say??
                      Debbie

• At 2013.02.05 15:58, Kayla said:

I’m 5’2″ also… live in boots… just know what my leg measurement is and have to be very careful not to get them too ‘tall’… I have short legs so anything labeled ‘tall boots’ will be too tall for me… my ideal ‘shaft height’ is 13-14 inches from the top of the heel. I wear with skirts and tights and tucked in to skinny jeans. Hope you get some, you’ll love them!

• At 2012.10.24 16:19, Betsy L. said:

Thanks so much Cindi! I have always, always, always hated pantyhose, with a passion! I haven’t worn then in years and I have moved on to tights, but only wear them with one or two dresses. I’m thinking i need to update my wardrobe to work those in more. I always forget about tanning part, I definitely need to try and remember to do that:) Thanks again!

• At 2012.10.25 10:51, cyndi spivey said:

Several people have that Sally Hansen tanning spray is great so I’m going to check it out.
                          Thanks for stopping by Betsy!

• At 2012.10.24 16:30, lynne said:

I think if you have great legs with no veins that are noticible, then it looks fine to go bare. Enjoy the bare look while you can. But if you have a problem with spider veins or varicose, cover them up. Also, I think if you are over 60, a sheer
                          hose or tight would look more becoming.

• At 2012.10.24 16:52, Bonnie said:

Lynne, I so agree with you. I will throw in that when your son is getting married in January and you have to walk up on the elevated stage, you really have to face the fact that bare (pale) legs with your nice outfit and shoes just won’t look right. Especially when you know the mother of the bride will be wearing hose.

I have avoided hose for years by wearing boots all fall and winter, and I wear a lot of black so black fights are a good option there though I can’t say I really enjoy them much more than hose. But there have been a few times (funerals, for one example) when I really felt strange wearing boots. (Before the last couple years when “all boots all the time” seemed to be the rule.) I just think tights look weird with most “dress” clothes.

So maybe I really am old.

• At 2012.10.25 08:43, Kim said:

Bonnie, I agree that tights don’t always look right with dress clothes. They tend to dress down an outfit. And as someone said earlier, bare legs don’t seem to “go” with winter dresses. I’m not sure what we are supposed to do. What a dilemma!! I tell you what…trying to look fashionable and not weird or out of style is EXHAUSTING! haha

• At 2012.10.25 10:50, cyndi spivey said:

Good advice Lynne. At 46 I can still go bare but at 56, I don’t know if I will be able to.

• At 2012.10.24 16:31, Tracey said:

Oh dear..I hate to admit it but I needed to hear this! My teen girls were telling me to abandon the nude hose and I wasn’t too sure. Sunday morning I wore nude hose with a black dress and black boots, I was very uncomfortable because you could see just a bit of my legs between the boot and dress hem, just didn’t look right. That afternoon I remembered I had black tights so made the switch before evening service…what a difference! Now that you’ve confirmed it here I will be tossing the nude hose out!! ;)

• At 2012.10.25 10:49, cyndi spivey said:

Yay Tracey! You look way too young for nude hose, ditch them now! Hahaha

• At 2012.10.24 16:42, Guerrina said:

IF I have to show my legs through Fall/Winter, I do use a lightweight nude pantyhose & skip the control top – why add additional discomfort. Spring/Summer and as far into Fall as possible, I show off my tanned gams. :) I also think that wearing heels does wonders for the legs (and the derriere)!

• At 2012.10.25 10:47, cyndi spivey said:

Thanks so much for stopping by! I agree about the legs and heels!
                                  Have a great day!

• At 2012.10.24 17:00, Bonnie said:

You made me laugh! I have a friend (probably quite a bit older than you) who was still wearing hose all the time even up until two or three years ago. She even wore the reinforced toe ones with open toed shoes. I just assumed she’d go to her grave doing that. Two or three summers ago a couple Sundays in a row she wasn’t wearing them and I finally commented on it. She said a (younger) co-worker at school had told her she just HAD to ditch the hose–that they were passe and had been for a while. So she did. Just like that. I would not have believed it. (And her prim and proper mother may be spinning in her grave.)

• At 2012.10.25 10:44, cyndi spivey said:

Bonnie that’s a great story! It’s amazing what we do to look young! :-)

• At 2012.10.24 17:06, Angela Hill said:

This is too funny!! I’m 55 and its probably been 20 years or so since I wore them. Unless of course it was required and then it was with much hesitation and pouting I’m sure! I live in the south and its hot AND humid!! There is no way I’m am adding to the heat wave. Even in the winter…if its not tights its nothing!! Nothing worse than a hot old lady that’s inflicted that upon herself!!!

• At 2012.10.25 10:43, cyndi spivey said:

You’re so right!! If you live in the south, pantyhose are out!
                                      Blessings

• At 2012.10.24 18:44, Su T said:

No panty hose for me for years now especially during summer months! For winter, I do wear black tights with certain outfits. Never tried any other color, but then again, I wear LOTS of black. And I;m with several of the other women who have posted, I can’t wear control top – it seems to emphasize the rolls even when you wear shape wear with it.

Be blessed!

• At 2012.10.25 10:42, cyndi spivey said:

Thanks for stopping by! Obviously alot of women don’t like control top. :-)

• At 2012.10.24 19:00, judy h. said:

I haven’t worn flesh colored pantyhose in all of my 54 years. I always thought they made legs look pale and sickly. I have worn a light tan pantyhose which is the ONLY color I would ever possibly consider. My legs show every bit of my age and pregnancies which I carried so low that my belly was about half way down my thigh from the very beginning. I like tights a lot. You look so darling in your skirt, sweater and tights! My 31 year old daughter swears by Sally Hansen spray tan for legs and uses it exclusively year ’round. You’d think I’d have taken a shot at the stuff by now…maybe I just talked myself into it!

• At 2012.10.25 10:40, cyndi spivey said:

Judy I’m going to be buying the Sally Hansen tanning spray. Can’t wait to try it!

• At 2012.10.24 19:02, judy h. said:

Oh, I had another question… What does anyone think about the “freeze factor” of going bare legged November through March?

• At 2012.10.25 10:40, cyndi spivey said:

I usually wear tights with most of my winter dresses if it’s that cold, I wear pants!!
                                            Blessings friend,

• At 2012.10.24 22:43, Casey said:

I hate to wear pantyhose. I’ll be looking for the Sally Hansen tanner to try. I like a little color on my legs so they’re not pale white. I apply lotion daily and shave my legs at least 5 days a week. It’s super important to use lotion in the cooler/cold weather. The best shaving tip is to use the Bigelow’s shaving cream that is sold at Bath & Body Works. My husband & sons were using this shaving cream and raving about it. I tried it and am hooked. It only takes a small amount and I don’t get the razor rash that I got before. My legs feel silky smooth.

• At 2012.10.25 10:39, cyndi spivey said:

Casey I will be heading out this weekend for the Sally Hansen tanner too! I can’t wait to try it and now I want the shaving cream too. :-)

• At 2012.10.25 09:20, April said:

This is perfect timing for me! I am going to a wedding in November and have a black skirt (just above the knees) and dressy black boots (just below the knees). I thought it looked funny having the “flash” of white between the boot and skirt, so should I try the black opaque tight? Never heard of opaque (haven’t worn tights or anything in YEARS!), but I am sure I can find it at Kohl’s. Also, how do you feel about wearing boots to a wedding?

• At 2012.10.25 10:38, cyndi spivey said:

April opaque just means they’re very black not sheer. With the outfit you’re talking about, I would definitely go with black opaque tights. It will look great!
                                                Also I think boots are perfect for a fall or winter wedding. Wear those boots!!
                                                Thanks for stopping by,

• At 2012.10.25 10:19, Terry said:

My son is getting married the last weekend in November and I will be wearing a cocktail dress to the wedding. We live in Illinois where the weather is cold. There is no option other than bare legs or panty hose. With minor spider veins, I know my legs will will look more attractive with sheer hose rather than au natural. I love tights for day to day styles, but dressy occasions I the winter leave very few options. To me, sheer hose are to legs what makeup is to the face.

• At 2012.10.25 10:35, cyndi spivey said:

I absolutely agree with Terry! You will look beautiful I’m sure. Congratulations to your family.

• At 2012.10.27 08:06, Lee Ann said:

I don’t wear dresses in fall/winter for the fact that I don’t know what to wear for my legs. I am always cold and my legs freeze. Do tights help to keep the legs warm? What kind of tights? I’ve seen thinner ones and the heavier ones. Not sure what is right for 47. My mom is 73 and is always telling me to wear pantyhose. She even tells my 19 yr old she should wear them! Can’t get her to understand that they are so out of style. I love the skirt/ sweater!

• At 2012.10.27 08:23, Cyndi Spivey said:

Hey Lee Ann!
                                                    Yes, tights keep your legs very warm. I wear Simply Vera Vera Wang from Kohl’s a lot. She always has a good selection. I hope this helps!

• At 2012.10.27 15:09, Kelly said:

Well, took the plunge today … took my daughter shopping with me and bought tights AND a black pencil skirt, which she has been after me to buy for a while now. I’ve recently lost 60 pounds, so I needed a fresher look! But I’ll have to admit, I’m not totally comfortable in it yet! Have loved this series! Thanks so much for all the great tips for us women over 40 (or 50)!

• At 2012.10.27 21:36, Cyndi Spivey said:

Yay Kelly! I’m sure it looks great and good job on losing 60 pounds. The more you wear them the more you’ll get use to it.
                                                        Thanks so much for stopping by!

• At 2012.10.30 15:49, Tracy Greenlee (@tagluv2read) said:

Your series has been wonderful! I have an entire drawer of sheer black and some nude hose (plus the lovely knee highs-egad!)…I haven’t worn in years…but felt I should keep them “just in case”. Thank you for liberating us! I am off to clear that drawer of all the old lady hosery and headed to Kohl’s for new opaque tights! We need something to cover our legs here in OK during the winter but I absolutely dreaded the thought of pantyhose! My mom still wears the knee highs since she never wears a dress and I was afraid I was going to be just like her! No way, Momma!!! I am a young 50 and not ready for that! :)

• [...] Beauty For women over 40 Day 23-Shapewear & Bras: Fashion & Beauty For Women over 40 Day 24-10 Ways to have Younger Looking Legs Day 25-It’s all about the Shoes: Fashion & Beauty For women over 40 Day 26-Adding Accents: [...]

• [...] was quoting Charla Krupp from her book, How Not To Look Old. She said nude pantyhose definitely age you (actually she said they make you look like an old lady. [...]

• At 2013.11.04 07:00, Stephanni said:

Hi Cyndi
                                                              Great discuccion, i usually wear
                                                              Leggs Sheer Energy pantyhose, little pricy, but feel great all day at work, with no falling down. I usually wear heels every day, so pantyhose for me everday skirt or dress pants! This time a year its chilly so , yes they do help with the warm factor even under Jeans.
                                                              Hope you all have a great day !

• At 2013.11.12 13:02, Christine said:

I always wear pantyhose, whether I was in High School in my teens, or now as professional in my early 30s. I never thought “pantyhose makes you look old,” I’ve always thought it was sophisticated and it shocked me to hear people say that it has some kind of aging effect, or that it was “out of style”- because I’m a shopaholic and spend tons of money on clothes. I thought, “Looking old is what makes people look old.” Then when I read what you wrote, “But let me remind you that Kate Middleton is young and so wearing nude hose doesn’t make her look old,” I see that makes sense, I imagine older ladies wearing hose it might make them look older. I don’t think I’ll ever give up hose b/c as I get older I’ll probably need it more. I can’t stand to wear a skirt and no hose. I also think it looks unprofessional. I’m 32 now but even with hose, people think I look like I’m in my early to mid 20s and have a hard time believing I’m an attorney. Of course I don’t wear opque SUPPORT hose- I agree, diabetic “flesh colored” support hose and girdles make people look old. Go for black if wearing opque. Don’t call it “flesh” colored, sounds gross -medical and vile, wear sheer hose and it is called “nude” which is sophisticated and minimal-sounding. I guess when I start to look old people can tell me I’m aging myself.

• At 2014.01.09 10:47, Marilynne Rowland said:

Thank you for saying not to fret and just wear pants! I have never, ever liked my legs since I have always had thick calves. I always look taller and thinner in pants or maxi dresses.

• 10 old comments are not displayed. Click to display all comments