Nude Pantyhose vs. Black Tights: Fashion Over 40

Today we’re going to take a look at nude pantyhose vs. black tights. During the month of October I did 31 days of Fashion & Beauty for women over 40. On Day 13 I wrote about 25 clothes that just gotta go and one of those was flesh colored hose.

I was quoting Charla Krupp from her book, How Not To Look Old. She said nude pantyhose definitely age you (actually she said they make you look like an old lady. eek!).

I decided to take some pictures and let you all be the judge. This is a black Michael Kors dress I purchased from TJMaxx. I first tried  a pair of Spanx nude pantyhose on with black heels.

This is the same black dress but I paired it with black opaque tights and the same black heels.

I thought I ‘d take another picture of how I would actually wear this black dress. I added a colorful scarf, black boots with a wedge heel and kept the black opaque tights.

I think this is a much younger look and I think it can be worn by women in their 40s, 50s and beyond.

I personally think the nude pantyhose are the worst look of the three pictures, that’s why I don’t wear them (I had to buy the nude pantyhose to take this picture). Okay, I’m ready to hear from you all!

What do yo think of the nude pantyhose vs. the black tights? I would love to hear from you!

I love to chat on facebook, you can follow me on facebook here! Did you know you can get all my posts delivered right to your email? Subscribe here!

Beauty For the Heart~~For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Linking to: The Better Mom

• At 2012.11.05 15:51, Regina Lane said:

Girl you are pretty no what you wear!!! I do see that the black tights with the heels or boots looks best, but the first picture is pretty too. Have a blessed day. :)

• At 2012.11.05 21:37, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thank you Regina, you’re sweet!! Thanks for stopping by!
      Blessings

• At 2012.11.05 15:52, Carol said:

I like the first and last looks best. The last looks like a fall/winter look to me. Maybe because I AM old, I think that the nude pantyhose gives a crisper, more professional look. When I was in high school in VA, many moons ago, no girl would’ve been caught dead without hose on. We weren’t allowed to wear slacks to school so stockings (we didn’t have pantyhose) were a must to keep our legs a little warmer. When we moved to Hawaii no one wore hose – too hot! Fashions come and go. Wear what feels and looks best for you!

• At 2012.11.05 21:38, Cyndi Spivey said:

I agree Carol, we have to feel good in what we wear. Thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 16:08, traci said:

Great post, Lou! Love the last picture. You look sassy baby!

• At 2012.11.05 16:32, diana said:

If you do the nude hose, do the scarf and some colorful shoes

• At 2012.11.05 21:38, Cyndi Spivey said:

I agree Diana, that would have looked better.

• At 2012.11.05 17:39, Courtney said:

I like the last look best – but am wondering about the color of the dress – if it were something like this http://www.nyandcompany.com/nyco/prod/Apparel/Dress-Boutique/Autumn-Floral-Empire-Dress I can’t imagine it with dark tights?

• At 2012.11.05 21:41, Cyndi Spivey said:

No I’d probably wear brown boots with that and no hose. That’s just me.
              thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 17:46, Rhetta said:

I agree that the last look is more hip; however, I think the occasion might dictate the choice of legwear. You look great in those nude hose, too, and I think of that look for a dressier event, along with the heels and perhaps some nice jewelry rather than a scarf. Just my two cents. :)

• At 2012.11.05 21:41, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Rhetta, I love hearing other peoples two cents! :-)

• At 2012.11.05 19:12, Donna said:

Thanks for trying the outfit on three different ways. I like the final look the best. You look lovely in each picture. Great dress.

• At 2012.11.05 21:42, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Donna! It does help to look at something different ways.

• At 2012.11.05 19:51, Cindy said:

Love all your tips! I would go without nude pantyhose for a more summer look and maybe change the shoes :-) I love the black tights with the boots! I wear a lot of scarves myself and they are a great accessory in place of a necklace.

• At 2012.11.05 21:43, Cyndi Spivey said:

Good tips Cindy! Thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 20:14, Gina said:

I like the black tights best, and the boots are great. For me, I would lose the scarf. I don’t do very many scarves. They look great from a front view, but from the side, there’s always this big bulkly thing not adding to my shape at all! LOL
                    I know we are all different, and I guess that’s a great thing. :)

• At 2012.11.05 21:43, Cyndi Spivey said:

Different is a great thing! I love scarves but I know they’re not for everyone. Thanks for stopping by!
                      blessings,

• At 2012.11.05 21:04, Cyndi Spivey said:

Oh I hope you find those boots soon! :-) Thanks so much for stopping by.

• At 2012.11.05 21:06, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Amy! I definitely don’t need to date myself or make myself look any older. I’m gonna stick with tights! :-)

• At 2012.11.05 21:07, Cyndi Spivey said:

They’re definitely not for me. Thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 21:08, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks for the tip Tara!! I’ll definitely try it.

• At 2012.11.05 21:08, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Cathy!

• At 2012.11.05 21:10, Cyndi Spivey said:

I would prefer bare legs too unless it’s below zero! :-) Thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 21:11, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thank you Amy! and you are talking very young. Ha!
                                  Thank you for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 21:12, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Bertie! I felt old in the nude hose for some reason. :-)
                                    Thanks for stopping by.

• At 2012.11.05 21:14, Cyndi Spivey said:

Wow!! We have a lot in common! So nice to meet you and I’m so glad you enjoyed my 31 days of fashion!

• At 2012.11.05 21:16, Cyndi Spivey said:

I know lots of women have to wear pantyhose to work. Luckily I get to wear scrubs.
                                        :-)

• At 2012.11.05 21:19, Cyndi Spivey said:

Absolutely Tara! I don’t have to dress up for work, I get to wear scrubs. So glad you scarves are you new friend. I’m hoping to do a video of my favorite ways to wear them this season. Thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 21:20, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thank you Martha!! I’m so glad you enjoy them!

• At 2012.11.05 21:22, Cyndi Spivey said:

You’re sweet Wanda. Thank you! and thanks for stopping by!
                                              I wouldn’t wear the black dress I have on with nude hose because I do think it looks a little short. The black tights make it less noticeable. :-)

• At 2012.11.05 21:23, Cyndi Spivey said:

I looked for nude fishnets. Where did you get yours?

• At 2012.11.09 16:44, Kristin S said:

I think they are Merona from Target. I really do like them a lot. Just gives a hint of “something” but makes me feel covered since my legs are pasty white in Winter.

Kristin

• At 2012.11.05 21:23, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Joy!! You’re not insulting me, I agree!

• At 2012.11.05 21:24, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Courtney and thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 21:25, Cyndi Spivey said:

Absolutely Kendra! We each have to do what we feel comfortable with. Thanks for stopping by!

• At 2012.11.05 21:31, Cyndi Spivey said:

Yes Stace, if I had on an ivory or pale hemline it wouldn’t look so noticeable. Yes, Day 24, a lighter top, the black would be too bold so that’s why I wore a black turtleneck. I hope I’m making sense, its been a long day. :-) There’s really not a right or wrong answer, I was just showing the difference. Each person should do what they like.
                                                        Thanks for stopping by.
                                                        Blessings

• At 2012.11.05 21:34, Cyndi Spivey said:

That’s a good question Judy! Middle ground??? I have to say I’d probably wear dressy slacks in the warmer months if I didn’t want to go bare legged. That’s just me. :-)

• At 2012.11.05 21:35, Cyndi Spivey said:

Thanks Lynne and I agree, a few years from now and I might say something different. This is just where I am right now.
                                                            Blessings

• At 2012.11.05 21:36, Cyndi Spivey said:

Yes! Good we’re all made different! I did think the black tights were slimming. Gotta love that!

• At 2012.11.06 06:18, Donna said:

I wear suntan hose everyday to work, well almost everyday, depends on the outfit, but I do wear a lot of brown, navy and other colors than black. I think it will depend on the outfit. Love the look of the dress in the last picture with the boots though!

• At 2012.11.06 14:43, Richella said:

Okay, I’m going to get down to details here. I absolutely, positively agree about wearing the tights with boots. Looks awesome and much younger than the nude hose.

What do you do, though, when you NEED to wear dress shoes (heels) instead of boots? You know how some occasions just call for something conservative like a pair of pumps. Can you wear opaque tights with dress shoes? I think I’ve only worn tights with flats or boots.

And for those times when you want your legs to be flesh-colored, it seems that bare legs are best, particularly with shoes that are similar in color to your legs. But is it acceptable to wear pantyhose? I’ve told you that my birthmark is an issue for me–especially with shorter skirts, bare legs don’t look that great. Is there a “nude” color that actually looks nude? I certainly don’t have a suntan, so I’d need a light color, but I wouldn’t want it to be too light. Any advice?

• At 2012.11.07 06:50, What I Wore~My Style~Fashion Over 40 said:

[...] is what I wore to church on Sunday (and in case you’re wondering, I didn’t wear panty hose or tights  [...]

• At 2012.11.09 07:59, Rachel said:

I occasionally wear nude pantyhose to school–because we’re not allowed to go bare-legged and I think it does look more professional than bare legs. Personally, I’d prefer polka dot, or pink, or blue, or green tights over nude or black…but some situations call for the professional look! I guess black is a good choice, but because our school require an all black outfit, with nude stockings as our only other option…sometimes I feel like getting an escape from the gothic look! :P

• At 2012.12.20 08:53, Rachel said:

The nude or tan hose are definitely my choice! As a woman in her forties I am stunned by the horrible bare legged trend that have befallen the poor fashion sheep of today. When it all shakes out, think for yourself and wear what makes you look and feel and look good. Yes I said look twice. That’s pretty important. *Smile*

• At 2013.01.24 18:53, Helen said:

I like the nude panty hose look, I like to show some legs.
                                                                          Personally, I think that dress made you look older. I’m sorry, I’m not trying to be rude or disrespectful. I’m 40 something too, but I wouldnt buy that style of dress (boxy). I like something that’s a little figure flattering, it would look more youthful (that is just my personal opinion). I do not wear anything that an 18 yr. old would. I would wear something more appropriate for my age.

• At 2013.01.29 15:48, Tami said:

Thank goodness nude hosiery is back in style at least somewhat! Nude hosiery looks chic, classy, and refined with any dress or skirt. Whenever I wear them, I ALWAYS get looks and compliments by men. I think they miss the feminine look. You looked great in the first picture!

• At 2013.02.08 22:48, Stacey said:

I bet if you had switched the black pumps for nude pumps with the nude hose, you would love it much better! The accent would be on your clothes and your legs would look long and slim. We can thank Kate Middleton for bringing this look back!

• At 2013.02.09 04:05, elaine said:

as a 67 yr old i feel that nude tights are definitely the winner , my daughter of 32 wears nude tights , my grandaughter 16 yrs wears nude tights ..in fact Thick 90 denier Black opaques that she once ” had” to wear for school uniform ..[not anymore thank goodness] have gone to the scissors / i cut them up for tying my tomato plants.

• At 2013.02.13 22:38, Lisa said:

I’m 40 and sometimes I will wear black pantyhose instead of tights if my skirt is just at the knee. Above the knee, definitely tights. But you would be surprised how good black sheer pantyhose looks. I get compliments.

• At 2013.03.27 09:17, michelle said:

I like the all three. I just think it should depend on what. Is going on. The first picture should be fore bother day andnight. The second might be for night time or cold weather. The last looks great with the boots and scarf. I don’t think its the hose or tights that make you look old its how you ware them.

• 23 old comments are not displayed. Click to display all comments