Well, I thought it was time for a “clean eating” update. Many of you email me and ask if I’m still doing it and what am I eating?
Sooooo, first I’ll tell you yes, I’m still trying. It’s a lifestyle I love, but it’s not always feasible. I have been a little more flexible over the last few months. I still believe strongly in eating less processed food and more “real” food.
But I’ll also say, that it’s much easier said than done!
When I first started “clean eating”, I went a little crazy as I do with everything. I panicked if I couldn’t eat something “clean”. I realized I was stressing myself out and stressing my family out.
Life is too short to stress about everything. So I gave myself some grace. I wish I could be a total “clean eater” but I can’t or maybe I should say, I’m not.
Here’s what I still do:
- I try to buy as much organic (organic is not always “clean”) as possible. Of course this does get expensive and if I had a large family, I’m not sure I could do it.
- I rarely eat fast food. We do go out to eat at times but I try to go to a restaurant that has some healthy alternatives. Basically, McDonald’s is not on my go to list unless it’s for coffee.
- I still limit my sugar intake. I use honey and 100% maple syrup. I also use organic sugar, I’m assuming this is better than regular sugar. I still love these no bake energy bites!
- I read labels! I try to buy items with the fewest ingredients and I buy fresh or frozen vegetables.
- I stay away from artificial sweeteners. I gave up diet coke a long time ago. I drink water and black coffee. I know, I’m boring.
I’m a creature of habit. It doesn’t bother me to eat the same thing for breakfast and lunch everyday. I know some people like variety but I just want simple and easy.
For breakfast, I eat organic cereal and add chia seeds. I use organic milk and sweeten it with honey or maple syrup. I eat this almost everyday! I love it!
Lunch is harder. I try to eat salads, or tuna. Lately, I’ve been on a grilled cheese and avocado kick. I use flax seed bread (not clean), mozzarella cheese, sliced avocado and a slice of tomato. I fix it like a grilled cheese and I love it. It’s not completely clean but healthy.
Dinner is easier. I can fix a meat with vegetables and be pretty “clean”. We don’t eat a lot of breads for dinner. This summer will be so much easier because my Dad has a garden so we have lots of fresh veggies and we grill most of the summer.
So that’s where I am. I’ve been so busy lately, I haven’t had to time to try any new recipes. I do still love smoothies. They’re so easy and delicious!
Anyone else still trying to “clean eat”? I’d love to hear how you’re doing!
Beauty for the Heart~~I was reading this verse and I was struck by “and I will keep it to the end.” I often talk about how we usually begin our journey with Christ, well. But more importantly how will we finish? I want to finish well too!
Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes; and I will keep it to the end. Psalm 119:33 (ESV)
Have a blessed day!Pin It